Please see the list of recommended equipment on the other tab. Most technical equipment can be rented here in Chamonix, please contact us if you would like prices and advice on whatever you need. Chamonix has dozens of outdoor shops selling everything from basic headtorches to expedition standard sleeping bags, so whatever you don't already have you can find it here.
- Thermos – Not essential due to weight, but it can be comforting to have a hot drink on a cold day.
- Water bottle – Should be at least 1.5 litres and durable.
- Camelbak hydration systems. Good as long as they are kept clean. Not recommended for winter sports / Mont Blanc as the tube tends to freeze up.
- A spare pair of warm gloves - essential!
- Lot of the climbing routes is easily and quickly accessed on skis. There is no better finish of a climbing day than an amazing powder ski down to Chamonix! So if you are comfortable off piste skiing in any snow conditions, bring your skis with you! Please note that the skis will be used for approaches / descends only if all of the course participants agree to it.
We suggest you bring snacks and packed lunch for each day that you are out in the mountains. Sandwiches, cereal bars, dried fruit, nuts, chocolate and sweets are all good for energy and easy to carry. Don't forget to bring plenty of water - dehydration occurs much more rapidly at altitude, especially when you are burning lots of energy.
You will generally stop for short breaks every hour or so, when you should eat and drink something in order to maintain your energy levels throughout the day.
Getting to Chamonix
Chamonix is one of the easiest alpine resorts to get to, being just over an hour's drive from Geneva international airport. Lyon, Turin and Milan airports are also all within a few hour's drive. The best way to get from Geneva airport to Chamonix is by transfer bus, either shared with other passengers or private. You will be met in the arrivals lounge by your driver and dropped at your accommodation in Chamonix, there is no extra charge for your luggage or equipment. We work only with the most reliable transfer companies in the valley and are happy to organise your journey for you, please contact us for prices and booking.
Accommodation in Chamonix
If you wish to book accommodation in Chamonix we would be happy to recommend some local hotels, gites, self-catered apartments, or chalets and advise on the best locations. Please contact us if you would like help finding accommodation in Chamonix.
Please note that to keep the itinerary as flexible as possible, lift passes are not included in the price of this trip. However, we are happy to organise them for you to make the week easier. We will discuss the options during the pre-course meeting.
Bespoke Private Guiding
We are always happy to organise private guiding, tailored to the needs of any sized group. We have lots of experience in organising corporate events, specialist courses and group trips for all kinds of people no matter what your age or experience. Please get in touch if you would like more information
All Chamex mountain guides are fully qualified, highly experienced and passionate about what they do. Everyone who works as part of the Chamex team has been thoroughly vetting and is trusted by us to give our clients the best experience possible - you are in safe hands! If you would like to know more then you can meet the Chamex team here.